Friday, March 27, 2009

Legal Coalition

Email from Dawn Trammell:
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that it has taken me so long to send out an update, but I have been very busy working on this. If you attended one of my workshops or have read my book, you know that I have been working as an advocate for Families of the Mentally Ill.

For those of you that are not aware of it, I am taking that one step further and starting a non-profit for that purpose. The name of the group will be the Legal Coalition for Families of the Mentally Ill. Check out our website at www.legalcoalition.org .

Our first board meeting will be in Tyler at Traditions Restuarant on April 9th at 6pm and I would like to invite you all to be there. If you are interested in becoming a board member please email me back and let me know so that I can put you on the agenda. Our objectives are as follows:


1. To educate the general public and families of the mentally ill about any and all legal avenues that are available to them.

2. To educate Law Enforcement, the Judicial System and Mental Health Care workers as to the avenues available to them and their consumer’s families.

3. To provide a support system for families during the legal process of getting help for their loved ones with a mental illness, including legal counsel and monetary and emotional support during this process..

4. Assisting the State of Texas in organizing a viable Assisted Outpatient Treatment program statewide.

I would also like to be able to tell you about the project I am working on with State legislators in May and June regarding objective number 4. It is a huge project and will benefit all mentally ill in Texas and their families.

If you are coming to the meeting, please RSVP so that I can have a big enough space reserved for all of us. If you cannot make the meeting, but would like to make a monetary donation, please also let me know. I hope to see you all there!


Dawn Trammell
Director
Legal Coalition for Families of the Mentally Ill
www.legalcoalition.org
schizo100@ymail.com
903-689-4904-office
903-497-6758-cell

No comments:

Post a Comment